Watfordobserver co uk dating

The name Watford may have arisen from the Old English for "waet" (full of water – the area was marshy), or "wath" (hunting), and ford.The name Watford is first mentioned in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 1007, where "Watforda" is one of the places marking the boundary of "Oxanhaege"; this is believed to refer to the ford .The houses were expanded and developed throughout the following centuries.Cassiobury became the family seat of the Earls of Essex, and The Grove the seat of the Earls of Clarendon.at nearby Croxley, influencing the development of printing in the town.Two brewers, Benskins and Sedgwicks, amalgamated and flourished in the town until their closure in the late 20th century.Watford's original railway station opened in 1837 on the west side of St Albans Road, a small, single-storey red-brick building.

Watford became an urban district under the Local Government Act 1894 and a municipal borough by grant of a charter in 1922.) is a town and borough in Hertfordshire, England, situated 15 miles (24 km) northwest of central London and inside the circumference of the M25 motorway.It is not to be confused with Watford, Northamptonshire which is 55 miles to the north.It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, when this area was part of St Albans' Abbey's manor of cashio.In the 12th century the Abbey was granted a charter allowing it to hold a market here and the building of St Mary's Church began.

Leave a Reply